CryptoKitties is an amazing Dapp that anyone interested in blockchains and cryptocurrencies should check out. This is a follow-up to the “How to buy a CryptoKitty” guide. After buying or receiving a CryptoKitty as a gift, you may want to sell it at some point. Follow the steps below to see how easy it is to sell one, and if you are lucky, you may have made some ETH! If you decide you don’t want to sell, you can try breeding your CryptoKitties by following this guide.
Before starting this guide:
- Open the desktop version of Chrome or Firefox
- Log into MetaMask and connect to the account your CryptoKitties are allocated to
Steps to selling a CryptoKitty
1. Go to the CryptoKitties website
2. Click the “Start meow” button
3. If you haven’t cleared your browsing history, you should be taken straight to your “My Kitties” page (shown below). Otherwise, just enter the requested details (E-mail and Nickname), click “Save account info”, and click “Sign” when MetaMask prompts you to sign a message.
4. Click the CryptoKitty that you would like to sell
5. Click the “Sell Kitty” button
6. Enter the following information and then click “Done”:
a. Start Price – Price of the CryptoKitty when the sale begins
b. End Price – Price of the CryptoKitty when it gets to the last bit of time in the sale
c. Duration – How long you want the sale to last
The price will gradually move from your start price to the end price until the time runs out. Example: A start price of 2 ETH, end price of 1 ETH, and duration of 2 days would show a buy now price of 1.5 ETH when it gets to one day left for the sale.
7. MetaMask will prompt you to confirm the transaction. Double check the details and click “Submit”. The network is currently bogged down, so it might take a couple of tries, or you might want to up your GWEI. Just be aware of the potential gas fee you will be paying!
8. If the transaction goes though, you should be taken to your “Activity” page, where you will see the message that you have started a sale. It may take some time to confirm the transaction, so you can leave for a while and come back.
9. You can validate the sale has started by checking your “Activity” page to see that the activity is listed as “Successful”. The other option is to go to your “My Kitties” page and look for a “For sale” tag on the CryptoKitty you wanted to sell, like what’s shown below.
10. If you click on your CryptoKitty you will notice it now has details of the sale in it’s profile page.
That is it. Now you just have to wait for someone to buy your CryptoKitty! You should receive an E-mail confirmation if this happens. Also note that your ETH will be listed under the “Internal Transactions” tab on EtherScan. Check out this guide on checking your Ethereum wallet balance with EtherScan if you are not familiar with using them.
For some interesting data and insight into the CryptoKitties phenomenon, check out KittyExplorer.
If you are a lucky one you probably just made some extra ETH selling your CryptoKitty. These have become the hot topic in the crypto world and I can see them being around forever. One even sold for over $100k! If you need help buying a CryptoKitty check out this guide. Subscribe to the newsletter for updates on more CryptoKitty tutorials!
Feel free to list your sale links in the comments below and please consider sharing this article to help newcomers!