MetaMask and MyEtherWallet
MetaMask is a great plugin if you are using the Chrome browser and have an Ethereum wallet. It allows you to interact with certain sites that connect to the Ethereum blockchain. Sometimes you may have tokens in your wallet other than ETH that you want to send. I have found one of the easiest ways to do this is by connecting your MetaMask wallet to MyEtherWallet.
Please note that MetaMask and MyEtherWallet are simply interfaces for interacting with your account. Your tokens are not ‘stored’ on either one. Tokens are allocated to an address “0x——-” on the Ethereum blockchain, and then you can access this from MEW, MetaMask, Mist, etc.
Steps for sending tokens from MetaMask using MEW
- Open up MetaMask and unlock your account. Make sure you are on the “Main Network”! If you are not, click the drop down in the top left corner and select “Main Network”!
- Go to MEW
3. Select “Send Ether & Tokens”
4. Choose “MetaMask / Mist”
5. Click “Connect to MetaMask“
6. MEW should now display your account information in the top right, showing your account address and ETH balance
7. If you are sending ETH, skip to step 9, otherwise click one of the “Load Tokens” buttons
8. MEW will display any tokens it finds in your wallet in the “Token Balances” section. If a token you have does not show up here, you will need to use the “Add Custom Token” option. Follow this guide on how to do that.
9. Fill in the “To Address”, “Amount to Send”, and “Gas Limit” fields. If you are not sending ETH, choose the token you want to send from the drop down beside the “Amount to Send” field.
10. Click “Generate Transaction” and then click the “Send Transaction” button once it appears
11. A confirmation will pop-up and show you the details of the transaction. Double check that all of this information is correct and then click “Yes, I am sure! Make transaction.”
If the transaction was accepted, you should see a green pop-up at the bottom of your screen with the transaction ID. You can put this ID in on a block explorer to check the status, or click the option in the pop-up to view it as well.
As usual, MyEtherWallet makes interacting with your Ethereum wallet easy. MetaMask is a very popular plug-in that is widely used by the community, so it’s nice to have the flexibility of integrating it with MEW. Check out other tutorials such as “Adding a custom token to MetaMask” or “Setting up an Ethereum Wallet with MEW”