Updated 2/3/2018 for new process and layout

Adding a custom token using MyEtherWallet

Now that you have a wallet and know how to check the balance using MyEtherWallet, you can try adding a custom Ethereum token!  To be clear, we will be adding a token someone has already created on the Ethereum blockchain, not creating a brand new token.

Head on over to MyEtherWallet and go to the ‘View Wallet Info‘ section.  Unlock your wallet and then follow the steps below.  If you are unsure about this process, refer back to theChecking your Ethereum Wallet Balancepost!

Adding a Custom Token

1. Click the “Show All Tokens” button first

MyEtherWallet Show All Tokens Button

2. Scroll through the list of tokens to try and find the symbol you are looking for and click theClick to Loadbutton.  If you do not see your token in the list, move on to the next step.  In this example I chose theASTtoken.  Notice the balance now displays for this token (bottom screenshot).  I do not hold this in my wallet so I expected the 0.

MyEtherWallet Click to load button

MyEtherWallet AST Balance

3. Click theAdd Custom Tokenbutton

MyEtherWallet Add Custom Token Button

4. You should be prompted to enter 3 pieces of information: Token Contract Address, Token Symbol, and Decimals

MyEtherWallet Custom Token Detail Screen

5. For this example, I am using a token that was mistakenly created a while back since it won’t be a default in MyEtherWallet.  The token information should be provided by the company that issued the token.  The details for this example are below in case you want to follow along!  Note that if you try to add a Token that MyEtherWallet already has you will see a pop-up that says “This token is already added as a default token.  Try clicking the “Load Tokens” button to see it. :)”

> Token Contract Address: 0x65B9D9B96bccE0b89d807413E4703D2C7451593a

> Token Symbol: TKNC (this can actually be almost anything you want!)

> Decimals: 8

MyEtherWallet Custom Token Details Entered

6. After entering the above information, click ‘Save‘!  Your custom token should appear with a ‘minus’ beside it as shown below.

MyEtherWallet Save Button For Custom Token

MyEtherWallet showing balance of custom token

That’s it for adding a custom token.  Also note that the token should now appear in the drop-down list for sending as well.

Custom token now displayed in sending option

Summary

This is an extremely easy and quick process.  The hardest part is probably finding the information needed to add the Token, but most companies will make it available on their website or a social media channel.  Time to go start collecting!  If you are looking for a good exchange to get more tokens at, check out my Binance review and KuCoin review!

Check out this post for adding custom tokens to MetaMask.

56 Comments

1. Roberto

Ciao Chris ho dei problemi con MEW ….spero che tu possa aiutarmi :
    1) il mio IDH è nella lista con il suo saldo….lo carico….nella finestra piccola alla sx mi compare sotto alla voce ETH … digito IDH
    ma non mi cambia la posizione con eth (rimane sempre sotto) e quindi non so se in quel momento invio ETH o IDH….come posso fare ?
    2) quando c’è una ICO e mi chiede l’indirizzo ERC20 posso dare quello della mia ledger nano s o devo dare solo quello di MEW ?? E se ho dato quello di MEW per portare in futuro il token sulla nano s devo trasferirlo all’indirizzo della Ledger ?
    Scusami ancora per il disturbo e spero che tu possa risolvere i miei problemi. Grazie.

Ciao Roberto,

Per la prima domanda, il token che invii sarà quello nella casella a discesa selezionata. Se fai clic su “IDH” nel menu a discesa, deve inserirlo nella casella e non vedrai nient’altro se non fai nuovamente clic sul menu a discesa.

Puoi dare loro l’indirizzo di Nano Ledger S Ethereum. Potresti non essere in grado di vedere i token nella loro app, quindi dovresti accedervi da MEW per vederli. Puoi anche usare EtherScan per controllare il saldo del tuo portafoglio e vedere tutti i token in esso contenuti. Ecco una guida al riguardo: https://blockchaindk.com/2017/11/22/check-ethereum-wallet-balance-transactions-etherscan/

Spero che mi aiuti e fammi sapere se hai altre domande!

Grazie,
      Chris

• Name *Roberto

Hi Chris … (MEW) are on the ” ETH and Token ” page …. the IDH icon is loaded in the drop-down window under the ETH text, but typing it does not include IDH tokens but ETH ones ….. in fact going forward with the transaction I see it on the confirmation screen. I’m worried because I can not solve the problem in any way. Do you have any idea ? If I have not been clear I can also send you a picture … hello

• Chris McCoy

That’s interesting, you should be able to just click IDH in that drop-down box. And just to confirm, if you check your balance on EtherScan it shows IDH tokens in that wallet address?

I would reach out to the MEW support and see if they can help. Let me know what you find out though because I would like to know for future reference!

Thanks,
        Chris

2. Sergej

Hi everybody! A short question: one of these days I am going to buy some tokens at Binance and after that I would like to transfer them to MyEtherWallet; the crypto I am planning to buy is in the list of tokens in MEW, but I don’t see the address! In order to send the token from Binance to MEW I would need to know the token’s address, right? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello Sergej,

In this case, you would send to the regular ETH wallet address. As an example, check out one of Binance’s Ethereum wallets: https://etherscan.io/address/0x3f5ce5fbfe3e9af3971dd833d26ba9b5c936f0be . Notice all of the tokens in the “View Tokens” drop-down box. These all belong to the same wallet address listed there. When withdrawing an Ethereum based token from Binance you can just use your current MEW wallet address.

The only time you have to really be cautious about sending Ethereum based tokens to the same address is when depositing into an Exchange. Exchanges have different systems setup and so you have to deposit into a specific address for each token. Since you are in full control of your MyEtherWallet wallet (because you have the private keys), you can use the same address for multiple tokens. Check out this article for more details around wallets: https://blockchaindk.com/2018/01/16/cryptocurrency-wallet-compatibility-basics/

Hope that helps!
      Chris

• Sergej

Many thanks, Chris.

3. Sri

Hi Chris,

From Binance I withdraw Tron and send it to ethereum address by mistake. Any idea how to retrieve it back ethereum to tron or to binance. I can see token holder address contract address and token balance in etherscan.io but dont know how to retrive from there.

Please advise.

• Sri

Hi Chris,

When I withdrawn Tron from Binance and send it to Ethereum it did not convert from TRX to ETH, its still says TRX in etherscan.io. As per your guidelines when I click on “Send Ether & Tokens”, in Amount to send it has only ETH it does not have TRX to when I click on Send Entire Balance it comes as 0.

Please advise.

Hi Sri,

To convert TRX, you will need to sell it for ETH. An Ethereum wallet can hold multiple types of Ethereum coins, but it does not convert them. The TRX token will need to be loaded on MyEtherWallet first before it appears in the drop-down list. When on the screen to send ETH, go to the right side and find TRX in the token list (may need to click the “Load Tokens” button, or something similar). TRX should be in that list, and you will just click to load it. Once it finds the balance of your wallet it will populate in the drop-down list to send.

Thanks,
          Chris

• Sri

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I did the the same way you suggested but some how when I click on “Click to Load” TRX nothing comes up says 0 TRX.

On Etherscan.io I can see Token Holder and Token Balance and Token Value. I dont know how to get these TRX – Tokens in MyetherWallet.

Please advise

• Chris McCoy

That’s very interesting. Sometimes it can take a minute to load, so I would wait a couple minutes and see if the balance loads (if you haven’t already). The fact it is showing on Etherscan means they are definitely in that wallet. If you still don’t see them I would reach out to MyEtherWallet support and let them know about this issue.

4. Luqman

Hello, and happy new year. I need a bit of help, and I know this is not the thread for this, but your help would be greatly appreciated.

I’m trying to send my UTrust tokens (UTK) from MyEtherWallet to my wallet at Kucoin exchange, and I’ve followed the steps provided on MEW site, but right at the end, I get an error saying “Insufficient Funds. The account you tried to send transaction from does not have enough funds. Required 144380000000000 and you got: 0.”
    What am I doing incorrectly?

Hey Luqman,

Not a problem, happy to help.

Just to confirm, you selected UTK from the drop-down list beside the amount field?

If so, that message probably means there isn’t enough ETH in the wallet to send the tokens. Even though you are sending tokens, you still need to pay the gas fee, which can only be paid in ETH. Do you currently have ETH in the wallet? You shouldn’t need much.

Thanks,
      Chris

• Luqman

Wow, thanks so much Chris! I believe that was it. I sent ETH to the wallet (It only had the UTK tokens an no ETH), and tried the transfer again, and hey presto! I really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction!

• Chris McCoy

Anytime, and glad to hear that worked!

5. Yusif

Hi Cris,

Can you please tell me what program I can use to open the Keystore File. Either on windows or IOS apple.

Thank you.

Hello Yusif,

If you just need to open the file to be able to view balances or send transactions I would use MyEtherWallet. Since it is web based you can use it on any device that can access the website.

If you wanted to download a desktop app though, I would use the Ethereum Wallet found here: https://github.com/ethereum/mist/releases

Let me know if that helps!

6. AMIT TYAGI

Hi Chris,
    I have to receive a few CLOUT tokens from my friend who got it in ICO. Can I receive them in myetherwallet on the basic ether address? Will they show up automatically in my wallet or I need to add it manually? I am sorry, its a repeat question but I want to be sure as I am new to crypto.

7. Martin

Is it true, that I only have one public address to receive different coins? I want to withdraw DENT coins from an exchange and I cant find the address on MEW. I suppose I take the one that I use for ETH as well?

• Chris McCoy

Correct, 1 address can hold multiple coins. In this case you would use the address you currently keep your ETH in since DENT is an Ethereum based coin.

As a side note, you just want to make sure the coin you are withdrawing is compatible with the wallet. For example, if you tried to withdraw RPX (NEO blockchain token) to your MEW (Ethereum blockchain wallet), it would not work.

8. CHRIS WEISS

I JUST PURCHASED LAITUM COINS, HOW DO I GET A WALLET FOR THEM?

• Chris McCoy

I was unable to find a laitum coin, but found a couple of latiums. Are you referencing the LATX one?

9. Анна

Здравствуйте! У меня в кошельке myetherwallet есть токен BMT, на балансе я его вижу, хочу отправить весь доступный баланс на биржу HitBtc, но транзакция не проходит, сообщение – Insufficient funds, пробовала поменять лимит газа на 400000, не проходит, подскажите, пожалуйста, в чем причина

Привет Анна,

Я использую переводчика, поэтому простите меня, если некоторые из них трудно читать.

Это сообщение обычно означает, что вам не хватает ETH в вашем кошельке. Несмотря на то, что вы отправляете BMT, это будет стоить некоторым ETH, чтобы отправить их. У вас достаточно ETH в кошельке для покрытия расходов на газ? 0,01 ETH было бы много, но я думаю, что минимум будет 0.002.

Дайте мне знать, если это поможет, иначе я могу попытаться найти другое решение.

Благодаря!
      Крис

10. Joey

Hey Chris. Is it ok to send over my ethereum wallet which has PPT tokens associated with it (via a smart contract) before I have added that custom token, or do I first have to add the custom token before I send over the Ethereum wallet? Or does it not matter? If I send over the wallet first will my tokens show up when I add the custom PPT token? Thank you for providing great value through your articles….Much appreciated

Hey Joey,

Thanks and glad you are finding value in them!

You are ok to send them before adding them. The ‘add custom token’ feature in MyEtherWallet only relates to the interface. When you add the token, MyEtherWallet is taking the data you entered and going out to the Ethereum blockchain to find a match. It then displays what it found on their site.

As an alternative to this, check your wallet on EtherScan. You should see all of your tokens under the “View Tokens” box without having to go through any steps. This is because EtherScan pulls everything from the Blockchain by default.

Let me know if that makes sense. Long story short though, you are ok to send before adding.

11. prashant

hey,
    i want to add custom tokens like ADA, NXT, DCT token to myetherwallet please guide me
    i dont have details to add them on ERC20

regards,
    prashant trivedi

Hey Prashant,

Those are not able to be added since they are not Ethereum tokens. The tokens mentioned all reside on their own blockchains, so you would need to find the wallets that pertain to their blockchains. Let me know if that helps or if you need more information.

Thanks,
      Chris

12. Marius

Hello. I have TRX (tron) tokens to Binance and i want to transfer this tokens from Binance to myetherwallet. How i do that step by step? Thank you.

13. chuck

Chris,

Good info. Thank you. I have gotten this far several times using MEW and Trezor. I can add and then see my new token on the side bar, but when I look in my wallet the new token and balance is not there. So I start over – add new token, see the balance on sidebar, then – what? How do I see it in My Trezor?

Hey Chuck,

Thanks and glad the info is helpful. I would check to make sure you have version 1.5.0 (although I think there is a newer one), as this one enabled ERC-20 tokens. However, this will only display ‘recognized’ tokens, which can be found here: https://github.com/trezor/trezor-mcu/blob/master/firmware/ethereum_tokens.c . From what I have read, it seems like anything not in that list will only display when using MEW. This post from Trezor provides a little more detail on their ERC-20 token support: https://blog.trezor.io/trezor-firmware-updated-to-1-5-0-7a402d3e9f89

Let me know if that helps. I’m not as familiar with Trezor, but would like to do some write-ups on them.

Thanks,
      Chris

14. Neil F

I have a cold storage wallet (MEW on a live ubuntu usb stick). I want to add some tokens to the wallet – does the above process work for a wallet that is not internet connected? Since I copied MEW to the wallet before the tokens were mine, I don’t understand how it could ‘know’ the tokens are mine even if I give it the details available from etherscan.io… Can you please clarify?
    Thanks
    Neil

Hey Neil,

Yes, because the holdings of the wallet are recorded on the Ethereum blockchain, regardless if the wallet is connected or not. As a real world example, think about someone sending a direct deposit to your bank account. You do not need to be signed into your bank account to receive funds. The transaction happens behind the scenes and is recorded by both banks. After it’s done, you can use their online banking platform to login and see the money in your account. MEW is basically the online banking platform. You can send to your wallet address without it being connected to the internet, and then just “login” to MEW whenever you want to see the balances.

Hope that makes sense and answers your questions. Let me know if it wasn’t and I would be glad to clarify more!

• Neil F

Hey Chris,
        Thanks for the reply! I can imagine how what you’ve described works for a wallet that is connected to the web because the banks in the analogy get to talk with each other. I can see my tokens and Eth balance on the blockchain, but have still failed to get the balances to show in the wallet itself. When I tried to add the tokens to the offline wallet it (latest version) it just says ‘loading’ next to the token name – seemingly it wants to connect to the net? Admittedly I only waited 30sec or so, but it was going nowhere fast… There doesn’t seem to be a way of generating data (similar to the offline ‘send from wallet’ procedure) that would tell the offline wallet that there were now tokens in my name on the blockchain… thanks for any additional help 🙂

• Chris McCoy

Awesome, the fact they show on the blockchain is great. I have had issues with the “Load Tokens” part before and it did take a minute or 2 to load. Sometimes it is near instant, but it might be worth trying again and letting it sit for a few minutes. The loading should be MEW going out to the blockchain to check your wallet’s associated balance with that token.

Let me know if it loads after a couple of minutes because I am curious now. Might end up being another write up or a nice addition to this one!

• Neil F

Sorry mate, maybe I wasn’t clear. The wallet is offline and can’t talk to the internet…

• Chris McCoy

That’s fine, because it’s really the key store file being stored offline. The address of the wallet, which is what Ethereum allocates tokens to, is always online (assuming there are nodes running).

I think the important thing to remember is that MEW isn’t using the USB stick for balances. It is checking the keystore file, which let’s it know that you are the owner of the wallet. Once it validates this, it goes out to the Ethereum blockchain and runs a query to pull back balances associated with the address tied to that private key.

15. Peter

Thank you for this clear information.
    I have recently bought some tokens using Fiat Money and when the sale ends in a few days time, the company issuing will buy the ETH to complete the purchase om my behalf.
    At this stage they have requested a Public Address to send the Tokens to and I am assuming I can send
    a new downloaded address from my Trezor linked MEW to facilitate this.
    Is this the correct address to use please.
    If so is that public address designed to receive both ETH or Tokens initially or do I need to create
    a different address purely for the receipt of Tokens.
    Please advise.

• Chris McCoy

Thanks and glad you found it helpful! I have not personally used a Trezor, but if you are able to access the address through MEW then it will be fine.

The address is allowed to receive both, so you can store ETH and a variety of other Ethereum based tokens at the same address. You can think of it like a ‘real’ wallet that you put multiple gift cards in. Each gift card pertains to a different company, but you store them in the same wallet.

• Peter

Hi Chris,

Thanks for clarifying that.

I am looking at an ICO called Hut34 which sends an ERC20 token to the public address in Eth as I mentioned
        previously so I guess it will land OK.

You can have a look at it here… https://hut34.io/entropySale

Best

Peter

Hey Peter,

No problem, and yeah it will land fine. The only ETH address you can’t really use for ICOs is one from an exchange like Coinbase, Kraken, Bittrex, etc. Even then the tokens actually make it to the address, it’s just that the exchanges aren’t setup to support them and they also control the private keys to the account.

And thanks for sharing that ICO, going to look into it today!

• Peter

Hi Chris,
            I have Airprops, if that’s the correct term, which have been added to my MEW ICO listings and wondered if they have any value.
            They are..Zenon (XNN), Viully (VIU) and StreamR (Data).

Hello Peter,

Close, tokens that randomly appear in your wallet, or ones given out for free, are considered air drops. The 3 you mention do have some value. Here are links to their market information:

Zenon – https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/xenon/ ($0.05)
            Viully – https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/viuly/ ($0.01)
            StreamR – https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/streamr-datacoin/ ($0.13)

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

16. Jan Zac

Hello ,

I saw your tweets and thought I will check your website to find more information.
    I’m also interested in this topic and have recently started my journey as young entrepreneur.
    Maybe you can adivise me.
    I’m looking for the ways on how to promote my website. Was thinking about starting using analytics. Do you recommend it?
    Can you recommend something what works best for you?

I also want to improve SEO of my website. Maybe you can have a look at my website and give me an advice what I should change: http://janzac.com/

I have subscribed to your newsletter. 🙂

Hope to hear to you soon.

Regards
    Jan Zac

17. Jan Zac

Hello ,

Maybe you can adivise me.
    I’m looking for the ways on how to promote my website. Was thinking about starting using anaytics. Do you recommend it?
    Can you recommend something what works best for you?

I have subscribed to your newsletter. 🙂

Hope to hear to you soon.

Regards
    Jan Zac

18. discover

I’m gone to cоnvey my littlе brother, thаt he should also go to
    see this weblog on regular basis to get ᥙpdated from latest reports.

19. Luca Spinelli

Este e o que e un contido de valor. 🙂

20. Cruzifer

is it possible to delete custom tokens? i added one which was allready there…now they are doubled and i fear that my tokens get messed up by this.

• Chris McCoy

Yep, you just have to select the minus sign beside one of them. Don’t worry, the values are stored on the Ethereum Blockchain and that minus sign only interacts with the user interface aspect of MEW.

21. KJ

Every time I open my wallet I have to add the same custom token in order to see my balance. Is there a way to Save the info so the token stays visible all of the time?

• Chris McCoy

Hmm, it should automatically save. I added one this morning and just checked and it is still showing up. If you don’t mind me asking, what token is it?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. iCloudSec – How to Add CLOUD Token to MyEtherWallet - […] Add Custom Token To MyEtherWallet […]